If you’re in charge of the pies this year and your crust just totally flopped, have no fear; I’ve got a super easy emergency pie crust recipe that will save your Thanksgiving, your Christmas, and your morale. Would Martha Stewart approve? No. But we’re not gonna tell her, are we?
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp. white sugar
1 tsp. salt
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 Tbs. milk
1. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F (200 Celsius).
2. IN YOUR PIE PAN, mix together the dry ingredients. Then, dump in the oil and milk. Mash it up with a fork until it starts looking like dough. (Don’t add more liquid. It’ll look like it doesn’t work at first, but have no fear – it will.)
3. Once it starts sticking together, you can finish kneading it with your hands until it’s a uniform doughy texture. Push the dough into the pie pan, smoothing it out to the edges. Poke the dough with a fork.
4. Bake for 15 minutes, or until it’s light brown.
5. When the crust has cooled, fill with your pumpkin pie mixture, fruit filling, etc. Use as directed in your pie recipe.
And that, my friends, is it! This recipe is the sole reason I even make pies. I don’t even bother messing up the usual dough, and while I must admit a properly executed pie crust is a beautiful thing, it is one beautiful thing I cannot create. Besides, my family hasn’t complained once. I don’t think they know how easy it is, so shhh! Our secret.
I hope this easy emergency pie crust recipe saves someone from a Thanksgiving or Christmas disaster; and Happy Holidays!