mom. Organic Gardening. January 16th , 2018.
Some people use ashes or crushed bark piles to grow plants in less fertile soil. Vegetable plants just like when they are planted in land. Organic Straw Bale Gardening also uses similar concept and offers great benefits.
Benefits of Organic Straw Bale Gardening
1. Straw bales could become a great alternative in a soil-based gardening when gardeners have soil in his yard with less than ideal condition. Since the method uses bales as the replacement of soil, it’s often considered as a branch of hydroponic gardening.
2. By using straw or hay bales as the medium, you don’t need to incorporate soil mixture or sand for improving the drainage. Straw is efficient enough to handle drainage work.
3. Organic Gardening is a great hobby that benefits your mind, body and soul. But the hobby can give some people severe back pain. Thank God for straw bales! Since the plants grown in straw bales are quite high from the ground, it lets people with disability or the older ones to take care of their plants.
4. Straw bales aren’t the ideal places for weeds to grow. They also have more resistance to fungal infections and pests. It’s a great choice for they who avoid to use synthetic chemicals in their organic garden.
5. Straw bales required to be cured first for 2-3 weeks before they can be used. The decomposition process during that time produces heat and gives an ideal micro-climate for the plants to thrive.
6. When straw bales decompose, they will slowly release rich nutrients essential for your plants. You’ll have a better chance to have healthy plants in your organic garden.
Straw bales may look not so pretty for some. You could actually make them look nicer by enclosing them using wooden fence. Be creative and enjoy organic gardening!
Any content, trademark/s, or other material that might be found on this site that is not this site property remains the copyright of its respective owner/s. In no way does dkmommyspot claim ownership or responsibility for such items, and you should seek legal consent for any use of such materials from its owner.