mom. Organic Gardening. January 21st , 2018.
Organic gardening isn't only for people who have large backyards or live in rural areas. It’s more than possible to do organic gardening in Urban settings (such as apartment or condominium) using plant containers. Urban gardening using containers gives you several advantages.
1. It gives a breath of fresh air. Growing plants in your apartment unit literally gives the place a breath of fresh air and lessens the oppressive vibe of the apartment also. We now that plants produce oxygen need by human beings.
2. It can be used for decoration. Growing organic plants makes your apartment looks prettier and fresh. If your place has a balcony outside, place your plants there so they can receive sunlight. When the weather turns cold outside, bring the plants back inside. If you don’t want to place the plant containers on the ground, you could hang them from the ceiling instead. Make two or three holes on the bottom part of containers so the water will seep through and wont drown the plants.
3. Organic gardening doesn't always need soil to grow plants. Instead of soil, you use a potting mix, a special recipe of lighter materials which gives more thorough drainage. As you don’t use soil, you have no worry about soil-based plant diseases. Additionally, to boost the growth of your plants, you could use organic fertilizers such as mulch. Mulch keeps your potting mix to dry out.
4. Regularly water your plants! If your plants start to wilt or droop and the leaves start to wither , that means your plants require some significant watering. Keep the water supply just enough for plants to absorb it, you don’t want to drown your plants by giving them too much water.
5. The plant containers you could choose for your Urban organic gardening activity range from clay, wood or plastic made. Before you choose, you should know the types of plants will be placed in the containers. Like, if you know how long the roots of the plants can grow, you can buy containers with appropriate size to contain the plants. But, don't choose containers with the same exact size as your plants, choose containers a size bigger to give your plants sufficient room to grow.
6. There’s plenty of organic way to get rid of pests. Ladybugs will eat aphid pests attacking your plants but without harming your plants. Wash the leaves affected in the sink to get rid of hookworms. If your plants suffered from slugs invasion, sprinkle some diatomaceous earth into the potting mix.
7. Plenty of options in growing organic vegetables in indoor setting. beans, eggplant, onions, lettuce, radishes, peas, tomatoes, and spinach just to name a few.
Just because you live in urban area doesn’t mean that you should give up your hobby of gardening. Many city dwellers nowadays have become avid Urban Organic Gardener. It could be than just hobby. If your vegetables grow well, maybe you can sell some to your neighbors.
Any content, trademark/s, or other material that might be found on this site that is not this site property remains the copyright of its respective owner/s. In no way does dkmommyspot claim ownership or responsibility for such items, and you should seek legal consent for any use of such materials from its owner.